Saturday, June 18, 2005

Movie Lines

I love movie lines. I think everyone comes to that point where your whole life becomes a movie line. Or sometimes you live by it, or you suddenly try to find something or someone in your life that you could connect to a movie line. It becomes a part of our lives and beliefs. It can either make or break you.

During Jerry Maguire’s peak, every man was saying “You complete me”. It all made us all awww, but the truth is, before we all go into a relationship, we should be as “complete” as we could be. I liked that line, but then I realized having someone “complete” you doesn’t really work.

There was the Julia Roberts line in My Bestfriend’s Wedding I held onto for a year. There was also the poem in 10 things I hate about you, that I spent hours researching on the internet. And just like the Jerry Maguire line, I outgrew the line, or life has just thought me that this is real life and I’m not a movie star.

Troy Dyer of Reality Bites made me like bad looking boys with wits. Ethan Hawke’s character gave a justification to that generation. I have a lot of favorite lines in that movie, specially when Winona Ryder asked her to define irony, and Troy immediately answered.

There are hundreds of movie lines we all loved, shared, and related to. And I think that’s why we still love romantic movies even if we know it has the same endings. Movie lines make us feel good and give us even just a tiny chance that it could happen to anyone.

Any movie, whether good or bad will always be remembered by striking and easy-to-relate-to movie lines that we all love.

P.S.

I would definitely recommend “Nasaan ka man”. The movie was a great break from all the usual Tagalog Romantic Movies yearly produced. Diether Ocampo’s performance cannot be ignored. I think this is the first time I’ve seen him this good.

1 comment:

louiselopez said...

i must say, your writing is getting better. :) keep it up!