Saturday, April 02, 2005

Enjoy your shoes

I love shoes. Who girl doesn’t? I especially love tsinelas. And its just recently that I’ve realized that on every birthday or so, if there’s something I ask for its for shoes.

On my first year in college I begged my mom to buy me Birkenstocks, the white and blue one. Then on my 18th birthday, I couldn’t resist to ask for these oh-so-comfy Bass thongs. Then there was the Nike Presto craze, I had searched and searched for the perfect one. Just before my birthday, I got the black leather ones and a surprise human traffic encounter (that’s another story). Then Last year it was Happy Feet, and this year it has got to be Haviannas. I know the craze started last year, but I was contemplating on how much it cost! And my metro sexual boyfriend who has been sssshhhing the idea (of buying so expensive rubber slippers), bought us the cheaper, also comfortable, locally made BEACHWALK as an alternative. I love it, and its black. It’s great on torn jeans and stuff but I knew my heart could not rest without having my pair of Haviannas.

Shoe conquest

And so, on a spontaneous afternoon, with my boyfriend and our friend Don, I hoped Rustan’s U still has a size 6, baby blue (the color I was planning to have, I have enough pink) Haviannas. As I saw the little stall they have for Haviannas and a note that said they do not accept reservations due to the high demand of the made in Brazil slippers, I knew this would not be a glorious I-finally-have-it moment. Not to mention the crowd of women, hoping and fighting for their own pair. It took me tons of trying all the color and style and we went back to Rustan’s twice before I made the decision of my life.

First problem: after all the trying and the struggle to have the chance to try that pair that another woman holds, when I decided on which pair I liked, they did not have size 7-8, which I thought was a better fit than the size 5-6. And when I almost wanted this pair, the color, the design, and the size, it was their last pair. Which I just found out, men don’t get. Well, jog and don we’re really good shopping partners, but they we’re of course, MEN. So they couldn’t understand that the LAST PAIR means, it was the pair everybody had tried on and are usually some sorta worn out and unclean. A pair nobody would want and a pair nobody would spend their money on. So, when I told them I liked this pair, and I’m not getting it because it’s the last pair, both hollered at me saying “ANO NAMAN NGAYON?” which made me laughed and realized why some men don’t have nice pair of shoes. But Don said, the rubber shoes he was wearing was a former “last pair” and it turns out to be ok. So, yah they talked me out of it.

The runners up

Jog wanted me to have the blue and orange Hawaiian printed pair, he said it was really summer looking (I know, my boyfriend’s gay) but I thought and Don thought it’s too girly, and just for once I wanted not to be so girly. Don also thought I’m nuts and those other women also for spending almost a thousand on a pair of “tsinelas”. He wished his girlfriend Adine wouldn’t find out about it and wouldn’t think of buying.

I also tried on the baby blue pair I planned to buy. But it was their last pair.

Then there was this two toned blue and purple pair, that I thought was cool and so did Don.

I almost didn’t have that pair, when the lady said it was their last pair, but I asked my boyfriend to ooze that lady his charm and ask if they still have another pair since mine was the display. The lady, who was not so nice to me, said she’d try and look. And after a few minute she got the pair for me.

I went out of U feeling happy and accomplished. The two we’re teasing me like high school boys and my boyfriend made it more perfect when he gave me a kiss on the cheek.

No comments: