Thursday, July 07, 2005

NOYPI

I think its a shame when a Filipino doesn't even know how to speak our language.

My mom has this friend, who migrated here in the US when her son was, i think, 8 or 9. They went home last year, and the boy, now in college doesn't know and understand any single tagalog word!!!

And recently, I met this family, and they have a 18 year old son who comes to Manila for vacation every now and then, and he also doesnt speak our language. I know he was born and raised here, but come on, you're still a Filipino!

I don't understand why these people don't speak to their sons in their native language. Kahit konti.

I have nothing agaisnt English, I write with that language, but i don't think we should forget about what we were born with.

I think it will not make you a less of a person when you know Tagalog even if you grew up someplace else. Rather, its an advantage. You instantly know two languages.

I also think its a disgrace when people in Manila, talk in English and feel superior. I also don't like people who come here in States, for a vacation, and suddenly when they come back, they immediately take on the accent. OH PLEASE!

I remember having this conversation with my friend Jen, we were talking about this singer who has been living in Manila for years and has been making a living there and he still doesn't know how to speak tagalog! As Jen says " Natatangahan nga ako sa kanya eh, ang tagal na niya dito hanggang ngayon hindi pa rin siya marunong magtagalog."

No comments: